Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tried True

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Ive mentioned my love of Tried & True Danish Oil in an earlier post. Now Id like to explain why I love it so much.

First, its traditional.

It really IS boilded linseed oil. The boiling polymerizes the oil (at least partially) and decreases drying time. Apparently, this technique eventually became synonomous with "fast" drying lindseed oil. Todays shelves are full of "boiled" linseed oil, but they are really lindseed oil with metalic driers added to make them dry really fast. Which is great, if speed is all important. But I kinda of like my health, you know? And these metalic driers are bad. And so are the mineral spirits that are also in these "boiled lindseed oils".

Second, and I already started talking about this, Tried & True is safer. Way safer. Take a look at the front label:

Sounds good, right? But to truly appreciate the difference lets take a closer look at the back labels of Tried & True and that other famous Danish Oil.

First, the industry leader (highlighting is mine):

Hmm, not that I was ever planning on taking a swig, but I think it gets the point across.

Now, lets check out the Tried & True warning:


Just in case you cant read that, it says: "Ingestions of large quantities may cause nausea."

Yeah, Id say that is just a tad safer.

So, Tried & True is traditional, I like the way it looks, feels and smells. It is clearly safer for me and for whomever receives my creations - I believe it is food safe in both wet and dry states. Tried & True does dry slower, but if you actually READ the instructions (most complaints Ive seen make it obvious that they did NOT follow the instructions - you apply this stuff thin, not "flood and soak") it is not too bad. Besides, if I thought speed was what it was all about, Id still be running wood through my old Delta table saw and Dewalt planer instead of using vintage Disston handsaws and Stanley planes.

If you care about your health, and the health of the environment, like traditional approaches to woodworking, and dont mind rubbing on a few additional thin coats and waiting a while for it to fully cure - then I highly recommend Tried & True Danish Oil (and their Original Wood Finish and Varnish Oil too).

You can check out their site here (no affiliation blah, blah, blah): http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/default.htm


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment